Training and Information
studying data on monitor


To work as a geophysicist, you will need at least a B.Sc. in geophysics, physics, mathematics or geology, with a good knowledge of computer science.

While these courses give you a good grounding in theory and some exposure to field work, you can expect to learn the specialised aspects of your work ”on the job”, from more experienced geophysicists or through in-house training programs.

Over half of the CSEG membership are licensed Professional Geophysicists. All Canadian provinces have legislated self-regulator associations, such as APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) to ensure competence and ethical practices. The associations in each province have programs for recent graduates as “Members in Training” for four to six years following graduation from an acceptable degree program.